EVERY SUNDAY 11-3PM
|Know Waste Lands
Sundays from 11-3PM
1278 Myrtle Avenue Brooklyn NY
HOW DOES IT WORK?
At the garden we offer residents the opportunity to process their own food scraps for free with the support of our Compost Manager or you can bring a small donation and we will do it for you.
WHAT CAN I COMPOST?
Compostable Items: fruit scraps (please freeze these for one day before drop off), vegetable scraps, coffee grounds, tea bags, dry grains, nuts, corn cobs, egg shells (but NO eggs), fresh and dry leaves, green plants prunings, hedge trimmings, grass clippings, flower bouquets, dead plants, old potting soil, straw and hay, untreated wood chips and sawdust, food-soiled paper towels and napkins, shredded paper, newspaper.
- NO MEAT, FISH, EGGS, CHEESE or DAIRY PRODUCTS
- NO RUBBERBANDS, TWIST TIES, CORKS or STICKERS
- NO PET WASTE or PET LITTER (even if labeled “compostable”)
- NO “COMPOSTABLE” CUPS/DISHES/UTENSILS (even if labeled “compostable”)
WHY THE DONATION?
BK ROT’s drop off sites help to facilitate convenient local composting while affording participants an opportunity to directly support local youth in valuable environmental work. In order to commit a youth to regular hours for servicing the drop off locations and times we need to guarantee their hourly pay. Your donations help BK ROT cover our youth’s time and availability for this work. Plus, you don’t have to bring a donation if you want to do the work!
WHAT’S THE WORK?
After collecting the organic waste by bike and hauling it to our processing sites, BK ROT youth weigh all the material, open each bag and go through the scraps to ensure only acceptable items are being processed. They then chop them down into smaller pieces and mix them with sawdust, leaves or other carbon-rich material before putting it all in the active compost system. This process generally takes about 2-3 hours depending on the day. It is a physically demanding, messy, smelly job that takes time and knowledge of the composting process. The requested donations go directly to the youth, compensating them for their hard work, availability, commitment and time.
WHAT WOULD HELP?
We are trying to create more efficiency and consistency across the service so we can serve you better. We ask that you, our composting neighbors, participate with the following things in mind.
- Please remove all rubber bands, twist ties and stickers before freezing fruits and vegetable scraps.
- Please consolidate drop off into the least amount of bags possible- it saves you money, allows for more capacity in the trailer and it saves us from being left with a lot of plastic to sort through and dispose of at our host community garden.
- Please respect the drop off hours from 12:30 – 3PM on Sundays at Know Waste Lands. Bags left outside the gate will not be composted.
- Please don’t forget to donate, being able to compensate the youth for their work really matters and makes this all possible.
- Please tell everyone about BK ROT and encourage others to participate! Our success is thanks to people like you, those excited to connect with both local composting and local community.
- Please do email us with related questions or to volunteer!
WHAT HAPPENS TO THE COMPOST?
We will share it with the community supporting this work. We will use it as a resource to raise funds to sustain the project enabling us to offer more environmentally supportive paid work for youth. We share the finished compost with our participating home pick up members, with the partners we share land with and use it in community greening efforts.